King Charles Orders Prince Harry And Meghan To Vacate UK Home
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been requested to vacate their residence at Frogmore Cottage,” the spokesperson said.
The statement followed a report in that claimed the pair were being evicted from the property, which is owned by the Crown Estate, and that it had since been offered to Prince Andrew, one of King Charles III’s brothers.
Buckingham Palace said Wednesday it would be offering no comment. A royal source told CNN that any such discussions would be a private family matter.
Prince Harry and Meghan now reside in the United States but had retained the early 19th-century property as their UK base. Gifted to the Sussexes by the late Queen Elizabeth II, the cottage is nestled in a corner of the Windsor estate, west of London.
They refurbished the property and moved in shortly before the arrival of their son Archie in May 2019. However, the renovation sparked controversy after the couple stepped back from public life and it emerged £2.4 million (about $3 million) of British taxpayers’ money had been used on the cottage’s refurbishments. They have since paid back the public money following their relocation to California.